Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Butternut Squash Souffle'

Fall makes me crave this recipe that has been around our family for years.  It also makes an excellent pie and there are never any leftovers around here.

I bake several butternut at the same time depending on the size.  I use Emeril's way of baking the squash and it works great.  I rub the butternut with olive oil and salt the outside and place on a cookie sheet.   I have a convection oven and set it at 375  for 75 minutes.

After it bakes I let it cool completely, sometimes over night if I bake at night.  It will look like this after baking.



I then slice the butternut in half and scoop out the seeds.  I will slice it again and peel the skin off and place in a mixing bowl.



Now we add the ingredients.  This is what I used for the amount I baked.

Preheat oven to 325..grease a 1 1/2 qt casserole dish 

1/2 stick of butter softened or melted.
3/4 c sugar or less
1/2 c milk
sea salt to your liking
cinnamon ( I don't measure, a good sprinkle)
Nutmeg grounded with my nutmeg grinder - a generous sprinkle
4-5 eggs depending on the size (my baby chicks eggs are much smaller than the old hens)
vanilla or almond extract - a good heaping teaspoon

Combine all the ingredients together with your mixer til combined






Pour into the casserole dish and bake for 75 minutes or until set.










No comments:

Post a Comment